[U-Boot] hardware flash protect kept during a reboot?

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Mon May 17 10:55:05 CEST 2010

Hi Timur,

On Friday 14 May 2010 21:33:28 Timur Tabi wrote:
> If I enable CONFIG_SYS_FLASH_PROTECTION and have a support flash chipset,
> are my protected sectors supposed to remain protected during a reboot?
>
> That is, if I protect some flash sector, and then reboot U-Boot, I know
> U-Boot will not show the sector as being protected, because the
> info->protect[] array is initialized on every boot.  However, since I was
> using hardware protection, I expect the chip will still protect the sector.

This protection is chip specific. IIRC, then some Intel (Strata) chips either
protect all sectors or have a sectore-wise protection mechanism. You need to
check your FLASH documentation for the exact behaviour. Which chip are you
using?

Please note that we have the special "unlock" env variable. By setting it to
"yes", all sectors will be unlocked upon startup. At least on Intel Strata
FLASH chips.

Cheers,
Stefan

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-0 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: office at denx.de