[U-Boot] CONFIG_SILENT_CONSOLE not working with NAND env

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Tue Apr 5 19:46:10 CEST 2011

On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 17:07:13 +0100
Nick Thompson <nick.thompson at ge.com> wrote:

> On 05/04/11 16:52, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 10:07 AM, Nick Thompson wrote:
> >> common/console.c has this function:
> >>
> >> /* Called before relocation - use serial functions */
> >> int console_init_f(void)
> >> {
> >>        gd->have_console = 1;
> >>
> >> #ifdef CONFIG_SILENT_CONSOLE
> >>        if (getenv("silent") != NULL)
> >>                gd->flags |= GD_FLG_SILENT;
> >> #endif
> >>
> >>        return 0;
> >> }
> >>
> >> I have defined CONFIG_SILENT_CONSOLE and set "silent" in my NAND env,
> >> but the SILENT flag doesn't get set.
> >>
> >> I suspect this function is called way too early for NAND env to be available.
> > NAND isnt the only one with this problem (SPI does too last i looked).
> >  during early boot, you only have the default env available.  so if
> > you want silent console, i'd suggest you enable that in your default
> > env.
> > -mike
>
> Yes, that's what I intend to do, I think, though I'd have liked it to be
> configurable at run time.

Try enabling CONFIG_NAND_ENV_DST to have the environment be loaded by the
SPL along with the main U-Boot image.  You didn't say what board/chip
you're using, so if you're using something other than the common
nand_boot.c you may need to add support for this (it's just a couple
lines), and silence any output from the SPL itself.

-Scott