[U-Boot] [RFC] mpc83xx: add config options to spd_sdram

Andre Schwarz andre.schwarz at matrix-vision.de
Fri Apr 8 09:41:51 CEST 2011

Kim,

>>> York,
>>>

>>> ok - will give it a try tomorrow.
>>>

>> hmm - having a look at the Makefile it looks like I need
>> CONFIG_FSL_DDR2.
>>
>> This seems to pull in the "new" code ... without omitting the "old"
>> one
>>
>> in arch/powerpc/cpu/mpc83xx/spd_sdram.c
>>

>> The Makefile further uses ctrl_regs.c ... which fails.
>>

>> having a look arch/powerpc/cpu/mpc8xxx/ddr/ctrl_regs.c gives :
>>

>> #ifdef CONFIG_MPC85xx
>>
>>    #define _DDR_ADDR CONFIG_SYS_MPC85xx_DDR_ADDR
>>
>> #elif defined(CONFIG_MPC86xx)
>>
>>    #define _DDR_ADDR CONFIG_SYS_MPC86xx_DDR_ADDR
>>
>> #else
>>
>>    #error "Undefined _DDR_ADDR"
>>
>> #endif
>>

>> There's not a single sign of any 83xx within this code.
>>
>> Grepping through the board configs only show 85xx and 86xx based
>> boards using it.
>>

>> Sorry, but I'm feeling like an idiot.
>>

>> Are you playing some game with me or am I simply unable to understand
>> the code ?
>>

>> Please shed some light on this.
>>

> Andre,
>
> I am sorry I totally ignored the subject with mpc83xx. I was thinking of
> mpc85xx.
ok - no "new" code for 83xx then.
> You are right the old code is in spd_sdram.c and it is still in use for
> mpc83xx. Unless to adjust the code, there is no board specific file.

Are you willing to accept some changes to spd_sdram.c or will I have
another out-of-tree board  ?

What we need is :

- more configurable settings like driver strength, cpo and odt values.
- Reading SPD data from an arbitrary i2c eeprom.

What's so bad about my proposal ?
Please let me know so that I'm able to improve.

Regards,
André

MATRIX VISION GmbH, Talstrasse 16, DE-71570 Oppenweiler
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Gerhard Thullner, Werner Armingeon, Uwe Furtner