[U-Boot] [RFC] Centralise documentation of CONFIG_ options (and finding unused ones)

Graeme Russ graeme.russ at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 10:36:04 CEST 2011

On 14/04/11 16:17, Albert ARIBAUD wrote:
> Hi Graeme,
>
> Le 11/04/2011 15:11, Graeme Russ a écrit :
>
>> So my RFC is twofold:
>>   1) Should we start to systematically remove unused options
>
> I would tend to answer 'yes'. Unused options should not clobber code or
> documentation.
>
>>   2) Should we centralise all options in a single README (or two, one for
>> standard CONFIG options and one for CONFIG_SYS options)?
>
> That would be nice indeed, but it requires all options to have the same
> semantics over all arches. While this is highly desirable, it may not be
> true ATM -- just thinking out loud, haven't checked. But even if some
> options only make sense only for some arch(es), then we could always do
> it this way:
>
> 	doc/README.CONFIG_options
> 	doc/README.CONFIG_SYS_options
> 	doc/arch/README.CONFIG_options

Hmm, I have a better idea after I can to the realisation that the central
location for configuration options is Ctrl^F in the doc/ directory :)

	doc/README.CONFIG_options.unused
	doc/README.CONFIG_options.undocumented

I will tweak my scripts to produce these two files and see what the result is.

Regards,

Graeme