[U-Boot] Update and Cut down mach types

Michael Schwingen rincewind at discworld.dascon.de
Tue Apr 19 20:44:00 CEST 2011

Am 04/19/2011 04:21 PM, schrieb Wolfgang Denk:
> Dear =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Matthias_Wei=DFer?=,
>
> In message <4DAD90AF.2080105 at arcor.de> you wrote:
>> This will break a least jadecpu. We don't use Linux on this board. When
>> porting I was requested to reserve an MACH_ID just in case the board
>> will ever be used with Linux. This has not been the case for this board.
>> But I would like to have this board in the u-boot tree. What will be the
>> solution for ARM but non-Linux u-boot ports then? What should be passed
>> to gd->bd->bi_arch_number?
> I think you have two options:
>
> 1) Complain with RMK about the removal of yoru MACH_ID.  Explain to
>    him that you use this elsewhere and ash to re-add it.

I did that and got the following reply (without quotes due to cut-and-paste)

cu
Michael

From: Russell King - ARM Linux
<linux at arm.linux.org.uk>
To: Michael Schwingen
<rincewind at discworld.dascon.de>
Subject: Re: [U-Boot] Update and Cut down mach types - ACTUX* and
DVLHOST
        machines
removed

What makes it into the kernel is determined by a script which is
based
upon a couple of simple
rules:

1. If the entry appears in a MACHINE_START() declaration in Linus'
kernel
   tree (evaluated on a daily basis), it is kept in the
file.
2. If the entry was created or modified in the database within the
last
   12
months.

(2) gives people a way to refresh their entry to ensure that it stays
in
the list in the mainline
kernel.

[...]

The normal URL which you fetch the file from (as contained within the
file)
will give you the full listing rather than the cut-down version.
There
really is no need for uboot to go picking the copy up from the
mainline
kernel.