[U-Boot] Update and Cut down mach types

Albert ARIBAUD albert.u.boot at aribaud.net
Wed Apr 20 10:44:42 CEST 2011

Le 19/04/2011 15:45, Paulraj, Sandeep a écrit :

>> Hello Sandeep, Wolfgang
>>
>> Am 19.04.2011 14:42, schrieb Paulraj, Sandeep:
>>> Wolfgang, Albert,
>>>
>>> Russell King sent some updates to the linux kernel for mach-types.
>>>
>>> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-
>> 2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=6f82f4db80189281a8ac42f2e72396accb719b57
>>>
>>>   He also removed a lot of entries which never made it to mainline.
>>>
>>> I have a patch and it is the branch below
>>>
>>> http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot/u-boot-
>> ti.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/update-mach-types
>>>
>>> Please review and if it is acceptable to everyone then we should
>>> apply this patch to remain in sync with the mainline kernel.
>>
>> This will break a least jadecpu.
>> We don't use Linux on this board. When
>> porting I was requested to reserve an MACH_ID just in case the board
>> will ever be used with Linux. This has not been the case for this board.
>> But I would like to have this board in the u-boot tree.
>
> We are not removing this board from u-boot
>
>> What will be the
>> solution for ARM but non-Linux u-boot ports then? What should be passed
>> to gd->bd->bi_arch_number?
>
> I'll defer to Wolfgang and Albert on this issue.
>
> There are new boards and hence mach types being added.
> Russell sent a patch that both added new mach IDs and removed many others.
>

> --Sandeep

If the jadecpu board does not require a machine ID because it does not
run Linux, then it should be able to build without a machine ID. So:

- if the need for a machine ID lies in the jadecpu U-Boot code, then the
jadecpu code should be fixed.

- if the need for a machine ID is general to the U-Boot ARM arch, than
the ARM arch must be fixed.

Now somebody must find out which is which, and submit a patch copying
either the jadecpu maintainer, the ARM custodian, or better yet, both. :)

Amicalement,
--
Albert.