[U-Boot] Policy for checkpatch usage?

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Wed Apr 20 11:24:48 CEST 2011

Hi,

currently our CodingStyle[1] has this to say about checkpatch.pl:

  Make sure to run the checkpatch.pl script from the Linux source tree
  to check your patches. Note that this should be done before posting on
  the mailing list!

Now this is not very clear as to what should be done with regard to the
results of such a checkpatch run.  I think we all agree that warnings
tailored to the linux kernel like this can be ignored:

  WARNING: consider using kstrto* in preference to simple_strtol
  #215: FILE: net/tftp.c:619:
  +		TftpRemotePort = simple_strtol(ep, NULL, 10);