[U-Boot] Mainlining android fastboot support to upstream u-boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Apr 24 16:25:39 CEST 2011

Dear John Rigby,

In message <BANLkTi=um9HTWdpWeee+Y1FZ2w4Y=QMOsA at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> So Wolfgang,  let's assume that Fastboot could coexist with and share
> code with the DFU implementation.  Would that be more acceptable?  Or

It is always nice if features can share common code, but here this is
actually completely unrelated to the question I raised.

> is any effort to get Fastboot into mainline just a waste of time?

The basic rule is that we accept what is useful for some (even if a
few), unless it hurts others (including maintainers).

> What additional info is needed to answer that question?

I wrote this in my initial posting to the Linaro list, and explicitly
pointed you to it before, see
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.linaro.devel/3823/focus=3842
and especially
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.u-boot/98145/focus=98283

I don't want to talk about code before we have heard anything about
the design.  This may be a trivial thing for you after having used
this for some amount of time, but please consider the mental welfare
of the  persons who never heard about this before, and who will
probably have to maintain the code after you.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The use of Microsoft crippleware systems is a sin that  carries  with
it its own punishment.
         -- Tom Christiansen in <6bo3fr$pj8$5 at csnews.cs.colorado.edu>