[U-Boot] Mainlining android fastboot support to upstream u-boot

John Rigby john.rigby at linaro.org
Mon Apr 25 05:54:04 CEST 2011

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 8:25 AM, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> Dear John Rigby,
>
> In message <BANLkTi=um9HTWdpWeee+Y1FZ2w4Y=QMOsA at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>>
>> So Wolfgang,  let's assume that Fastboot could coexist with and share
>> code with the DFU implementation.  Would that be more acceptable?  Or
>
> It is always nice if features can share common code, but here this is
> actually completely unrelated to the question I raised.
>
>> is any effort to get Fastboot into mainline just a waste of time?
>
> The basic rule is that we accept what is useful for some (even if a
> few), unless it hurts others (including maintainers).
>
>> What additional info is needed to answer that question?
>
> I wrote this in my initial posting to the Linaro list, and explicitly
> pointed you to it before, see
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.linaro.devel/3823/focus=3842
> and especially
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.u-boot/98145/focus=98283
>
> I don't want to talk about code before we have heard anything about
> the design.  This may be a trivial thing for you after having used
> this for some amount of time, but please consider the mental welfare
> of the  persons who never heard about this before, and who will
> probably have to maintain the code after you.
Ok, I had already read both of those posts and when I read "design" I
was thinking that Android Fastboot exists and the feature list is
already set as is the wire protocol, so I don't see that we have a lot
of flexibility in those areas.  The only design I see that is up for
definition is how it can be implemented in U-Boot, that was why I
brought up sharing with DFU.

I will follow up in a separate email with summary design docs of what
fastboot is including what the wire protocol is and what services it
needs from the environment it is running in.  Along with this I will
have pointers to more detailed docs.

Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks for your patience,
John