[U-Boot] mmcinit in U-Boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Apr 29 12:29:17 CEST 2011

Dear Valerio Bardelli,

In message <4DBA7D2E.5000101 at microhard.biz> you wrote:

> we have a board based on AT91SAM9263 (Atmel) CPU and we use your U-Boot
> to debug the hardware and to boot OpenEmbedded Linux. Very good free
> product! ;))

The at91sam9263ek board is supported in Mainline U-Boot, but this does
not appear to contain any MMC support.

> In our board we have also a micro SD card reader and we would test it in
> U-Boot. Over the internet I see that in "some" U-Boot there are
> "mmcinit" and "fatload" commands, but I'm not be able to reach it in
> your U-Boot and also in your documentation. Is there any possibility to
> use the micro SD in your U-Boot?

You will have to add / adapt the MMC drivers.

> The version is (result of ver command): U-Boot 2009.06 (gen 20 2010 -
> 16:17:59)

Ouch.  That's very old, and very likely an out-of-tree port. So you
will probably have to start with bringing your board support up to
date and based on a mainline U-Boot version.

> Just another question... we need to boot from our micro SD and reach the
> U-Boot (from Micro SD) in order to write the NAND for the first time
> after board production. We are able to boot from SD card with
> AT91Bootstrap, but is there the possibility to run also the U-Boot from
> the SD?

Yes, this is possible. It will require some work, though.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Never give in.  Never give in.  Never. Never. Never."
- Winston Churchill