[U-Boot] having trouble booting a simple kernel on a TQM860 board

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Dec 5 13:58:58 CET 2011

Dear Robert,

In message <alpine.DEB.2.02.1112050701340.21244 at oneiric> you wrote:

> > No.  Now you don't need a cuImage nay more.  Just use the DT as I
> > showed you in the builkd and boot log I sent before.
>
>   for the sake of clarification, you write that i don't *need*
> cuImages anymore, but that's not the same as saying that i *must* move
> to using device trees.  in fact, a cuImage file still works just fine

True, you don't have to use the DT.  You don't have to use the most
straightforward way that has been well tested for a ton of
combinations of recent U-Boot releases against recent kernel releases.

You are free to chose any untested, unsupported way you like.

It's perfectly fine to ignore all good advice you get here. But
eventually you should then also stop asking further questions here.

> for my lite5200 boards, so obviously the version of u-boot that i've
> flashed to my TQM boards can still handle that format.

Of course U-Boot can handle this.

>   so while it's probably a good idea to move to the device tree
> recipe, that still doesn't explain why i can't use a cuImage file for
> my tqm boards.  so i'll test the device tree process later today, but
> i'm still curious as to why a cuImage format file still fails in this
> case when it works just fine for the other boards.

Because this code has never been adapted for nor tested with any
TQM8xx boards?  But frankly, who cares?  This code simply is not
needed for these boards.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
grep me no patterns and I'll tell you no lines.