[U-Boot] having trouble booting a simple kernel on a TQM860 board

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Dec 5 18:48:39 CET 2011

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> Dear Robert,
>
> In message <alpine.DEB.2.02.1112050701340.21244 at oneiric> you wrote:
> >
> > > No.  Now you don't need a cuImage nay more.  Just use the DT as I
> > > showed you in the builkd and boot log I sent before.
> >
> >   for the sake of clarification, you write that i don't *need*
> > cuImages anymore, but that's not the same as saying that i *must* move
> > to using device trees.  in fact, a cuImage file still works just fine
>
> True, you don't have to use the DT.  You don't have to use the most
> straightforward way that has been well tested for a ton of
> combinations of recent U-Boot releases against recent kernel
> releases.
>
> You are free to chose any untested, unsupported way you like.
>
> It's perfectly fine to ignore all good advice you get here. But
> eventually you should then also stop asking further questions here.

  please stop being so defensive, wolfgang, it doesn't become you.  i
have no doubt that using a separate device tree is a better idea.  but
i also like to be very careful with my terminology.

  if someone says using a device tree is better, i'm fine with that.
but an earlier claim of yours seemed to suggest that one *needed* to
use a DT, and if that's the case, i just want to know that. i simply
like to know what my options are in case Plan A doesn't work, i can
try Plan B.

  also, i was *given* material to work with, and i'm making an effort
to change as little of it as possible if i don't have to, at the
request of the person who gave it to me.  and sometimes, political
reasons might trump technical reasons, as much as we don't want them
to.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca