[U-Boot] having trouble booting a simple kernel on a TQM860 board

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Dec 5 21:02:38 CET 2011

Dear Robert,

In message <alpine.DEB.2.02.1112051242090.4383 at oneiric> you wrote:

> > True, you don't have to use the DT.  You don't have to use the most
> > straightforward way that has been well tested for a ton of
> > combinations of recent U-Boot releases against recent kernel
> > releases.
> >
> > You are free to chose any untested, unsupported way you like.
>   please stop being so defensive, wolfgang, it doesn't become you.  i
> have no doubt that using a separate device tree is a better idea.  but
> i also like to be very careful with my terminology.

I was very careful, actually.

>   if someone says using a device tree is better, i'm fine with that.
> but an earlier claim of yours seemed to suggest that one *needed* to
> use a DT, and if that's the case, i just want to know that. i simply
> like to know what my options are in case Plan A doesn't work, i can
> try Plan B.

I told you, several times, and I repeat it here again, for the last
time, promised:

If you want to have an easy start, use a separate device tree. This is
what has been tested all the time, and what is known to be working.

If you go for cuImage, this is completely untested code on TQM8xx, and
you are on your own - this may work, but it is more likely that it
doesn't.

Your choice.

>   also, i was *given* material to work with, and i'm making an effort
> to change as little of it as possible if i don't have to, at the
> request of the person who gave it to me.  and sometimes, political
> reasons might trump technical reasons, as much as we don't want them
> to.

You already updated U-Boot successfully, so there is no need to
continue trying cuImages.  But it's your choice.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
It is easier to change the specification to fit the program than vice
versa.