[U-Boot] How to test a new u-boot image over network?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Dec 7 21:12:57 CET 2011

Dear vikas.sontakke at emc.com,

In message <629D989C137DD040A0A994BD21888F1E75E81D17 at MX29A.corp.emc.com> you wrote:

> I have built a new u-boot for a board which is very similar to canyonlands. But I am having problem in running it. Afterwards, I ran mkimage on it.

Why did you do that?

> I then tftp the image "u-boot.bin.load" and bootm it but I am getting following error.
> Error: Bad gzipped data
> GUNZIP: uncompress or overwrite error - must RESET board to recover

What makes you think this could work?

There is no documentation anywhere that desribes such an approach, so
why do you think this could work?

Why don't you simply read the DULG for the canyonlands board an follow
the steps described there to install a new U-Bootimage?

> Board: Mellanox PPC460EX Board

Be careful.  Even if boards are similar the code for one board
(canyonlands) will most certainly NOT run on different hardware (even
if you consider the differences to be small).

Make sure you have a JTAG debugger at hand in case you brick your
board (alternatively, make sure you  have a working boot image in NAND
for recovery).

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Experience is what causes a person to make new  mistakes  instead  of
old ones.