[U-Boot] Request for Help: How to save data to an SD/MMC card

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Dec 13 09:14:36 CET 2011

Dear Graeme,

In message <CALButCKwVh571bhgV9NQ82HYiFVJ=uGMFvVTYa5NV5M=kWvtGw at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I have a need to dump memory contents to a filesystem on an SD/MMC
> card so I can transfer it to my dev PC. I don't have a working network
> driver, so TFTP is out

Add a network driver? :-)

> Now I notice that U-Boot has code to support writing to FAT
> filesystems, but it does not appear to be plumbed in

Correct. (V)FAT support is read-only, like for nearly all other file
systems.

> Alternatively, I could patch up the recently posted ext4 code and give that a go

That would be a good idea - the more people testing that code, the
better.

> Is there any other existing mechanism to write a file to a filesystem
> on an SD/MMC card in U-Boot?

Yaffs is the only other file system in U-Boot that has write support.

If I were you, I'd try to get the ext4 code running.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A memorandum is written not to inform the reader, but to protect  the
writer.                                               -- Dean Acheson