[U-Boot] Request for Help: How to save data to an SD/MMC card

Graeme Russ graeme.russ at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 00:18:05 CET 2011

Hi Wolfgang,

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> Dear Graeme,
>
> In message <CALButCKwVh571bhgV9NQ82HYiFVJ=uGMFvVTYa5NV5M=kWvtGw at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>>
>> I have a need to dump memory contents to a filesystem on an SD/MMC
>> card so I can transfer it to my dev PC. I don't have a working network
>> driver, so TFTP is out
>
> Add a network driver? :-)

I tried, but the technical documentation I have is somewhat less than
perfect :( - I'm still chasing that up

>> Now I notice that U-Boot has code to support writing to FAT
>> filesystems, but it does not appear to be plumbed in
>
> Correct. (V)FAT support is read-only, like for nearly all other file
> systems.
>
>> Alternatively, I could patch up the recently posted ext4 code and give that a go
>
> That would be a good idea - the more people testing that code, the
> better.
>
>> Is there any other existing mechanism to write a file to a filesystem
>> on an SD/MMC card in U-Boot?
>
> Yaffs is the only other file system in U-Boot that has write support.
>
> If I were you, I'd try to get the ext4 code running.

OK, I'll focus on the ext4 patches

If you like, I can take on responsibility of getting them into
mainline through the staging repo, but this is unlikely to happen
until well into the new year

Regards,

Graeme