[U-Boot] {Spam?} u-boot-usb DFU working but need some ideas

Marcel korgull at home.nl
Thu Feb 10 20:15:59 CET 2011

Dear Wolfgang,

> In message <201102100846.49072.korgull at home.nl> you wrote:
> > I did create a new command "dfu" that activates the controller and DFU.
> > I than used the GPBR register of the AT91 to make u-boot know that it has
> > to activate DFU by script. Basically the value of the GPBR register
> > either tells u-boot to wait for TFTP or DFU ways to upgrade.
>
> Hm... Please keep in mind that DFU support is supposed to be
> completely hardware independent - it should not only work on AT91
> systems, and not even be restricted to ARM, but instead be usabel on
> all architectures and boards.

The GPBR is optional in my code. I just use it because it's the nicest
solution for me over the following options :
1) access my NOR flash to Linux and use env variables.
2) read my eeprom in u-boot.
On any other boards the code should work as well, although I can't test it. I
fully complied to the use of the new USB layer as ether.c does. If ether.c
should work on a board, so would DFU I think.
When I post the patches, I'll add a readme for DFU, so that the current
implementation is clear. It has some restriction due to my time limitation,
but is basically 100% according spec and works with standard dfu-utils.
There are things 'todo' to make it nicer, but what code is 100% finished the
first commit :-)

> > I'm on a real deadline for my project. I have to go on business trip end
> > of next week and very limited in time. I finished u-boot for my
> > companies products and I can post a full diff of it. I was hoping
> > someone could help me out
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "full diff". If you think about posting
> all your changes in a single patch, then please don't.  You have to
> split the stuff into independent parts - DFU support is then just one
> patch in your patch series.

Do you mean separate patches to add for example the sam9g45 USB controller and
another patch to add DFU and another one to add my board ?
It does make sense to that, I just wonder how to generate those patches......
I know which files I want to include in separate patches, but how do I do that
?

Mostly I added new files, so I guess it shouldn't be too difficult.
I will add README.dfu to explain what I implemented, what is optional and what
can be added in the near future.

> > testing the patch on their board (either sam9g45 or using at91_udc ) and
> > help me to post the changes to u-boot.
>
> Thn it is all the more important to correctly split your changes into
> independent (orthogonal) patches.
>
> > I can also post a full diff the the forum, but it's rather large I think.
> > I never posted changes before, so I have no idea yet how to do it. I
> > know there's reading info about it, but had no time yet to look into it
> > (shame on me :-) ).
>
> see http://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot/Patches

Thanks again. I read most of it and try posting it like that. It does look
like I'll be reading the git manual again.

Best regards,
Marcel