[U-Boot] U-Boot for AMCC Sequoia Board (PPC440EPX) fails to boot for version 2009.11-rc1 onwards

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Tue Sep 13 10:10:57 CEST 2011

Doug,

On Friday 09 September 2011 22:04:51 Hayes,Doug wrote:
> I removed the same 2 calls from the latest U-Boot (2011.06) and it boots to
> U-Boot prompt as well. Not sure how to set the card to 33MHz, it may
> already start at 33MHz.  The documentation on SW2 doesn't mention PCI
> settings (our current setting for SW2 is 4321:OFF,ON,OFF,ON?).  We are
> using Bootstrap Option C which comes up at PCI 33 MHz then I assume is
> changed to 66MHz by SW?

Hmmm. I checked with exactly your configuration:

U-Boot 2011.06-00588-g49ea2e3 (Sep 09 2011 - 08:20:40)

CPU:   AMCC PowerPC 440EPx Rev. A at 528 MHz (PLB=132 OPB=66 EBC=66 PCI=66
MHz)
       Security/Kasumi support
       Bootstrap Option C - Boot ROM Location EBC (16 bits)
       Internal PCI arbiter enabled, PCI async ext clock used
       32 kB I-Cache 32 kB D-Cache
Board: Sequoia - AMCC PPC440EPx Evaluation Board, Rev. F, PCI-Async=66 MHz
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  256 MiB
Flash: 64 MiB
NAND:  32 MiB
PCI:   Bus Dev VenId DevId Class Int
USB:   Host(int phy) Device(ext phy)
Net:   ppc_4xx_eth0, ppc_4xx_eth1

Type run flash_nfs to mount root filesystem over NFS

Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
=>

As you can see, I'm using the latest U-Boot source (without modifications).
And it boots without problems to the prompt. So I'm not really sure why this
doesn't work on your sequoia board.

You don't have any PCI devices plugged into your board, correct?

Do you have access to another board to test it on a different HW?

> On another note do you know if EHCI is supported for the USB host
> controller on the Sequioa 440EPX in the latest U-Boot. OHCI runs no
> problem but when I compile for EHCI it doesn't see devices when plugged
> in.  There is an errata [USB23] for this device which doesn't appear fixed
> here which may be the cause of this (but the code in U-Boot doesn't match
> the Linux code where the patch comes from).  Just wanted to know if EHCI
> is supported at all (there is some code there).  Thanks.

Yes, EHCI is supported. You need to make sure, that the USB devices connected
to the Sequoia board are high-speed devices though. Here a log with EHCI
enabled:

=> usb reset
(Re)start USB...
USB:   Register 1111 NbrPorts 1
USB EHCI 1.00
scanning bus for devices... 2 USB Device(s) found
       scanning bus for storage devices... 1 Storage Device(s) found
=> usb tree

Device Tree:
  1  Hub (480 Mb/s, 0mA)
  |  u-boot EHCI Host Controller