[U-Boot] [u-boot] CRC / ECC protection of environment

Arno Steffen arno.steffen at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 22 12:20:05 CEST 2011

2011/9/21 Scott Wood <scottwood at freescale.com>:
> On 09/21/2011 04:59 AM, Arno Steffen wrote:
>> Thank you for clarification. Although I am estonished, that after some
>> time of running 2 devices come up with CRC errors (with just read
>> access to environment!!).
>> Unfortunatly I don't know a way just to change 1 bit in flash without
>> changing the OOB data to simulate a toogling bit.
>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/114262/ provides the ability to do a
> raw write.  Copy out the good data (including OOB), erase the block,
> flip a bit in the RAM copy, and raw-write it all back at once.
>
> What board and nand driver are you using?
>
> -Scott

This is a good advice - I will check this next. Thanks, Scott!
I use an OMAP3 (simular to EVM 3530 board) with uboot-2010.03.
My assumption of not using ECC (or doing CRC first) is derived from,
that I had several devices with CRC error in environment but not even
a single board ever complains about the kernel, which is 12x bigger!
(It is from what I know also CRC protected, but in another way). From
my knowledge about statistics this behaviour is very unlikely.
- Arno