[U-Boot] [u-boot] CRC / ECC protection of environment

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Sep 22 15:54:08 CEST 2011

Dear Arno Steffen,

In message <CAACX+R3ep2g0eytXC=U8GaCJgRG9h3f5quKgq1t4mHuYKwA74g at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> This is a good advice - I will check this next. Thanks, Scott!
> I use an OMAP3 (simular to EVM 3530 board) with uboot-2010.03.
> My assumption of not using ECC (or doing CRC first) is derived from,
> that I had several devices with CRC error in environment but not even
> a single board ever complains about the kernel, which is 12x bigger!
> (It is from what I know also CRC protected, but in another way). From
> my knowledge about statistics this behaviour is very unlikely.

Eventually the ernel got written a lot less frequently than the
environment blocks - I would not be surprised if you are just
experiencing the "normal" wear of NAND blocks.

[And keep in mind that NAND also develops erros when you only read
it.]

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I'm frequently appalled by the low regard you Earthmen have for life.
	-- Spock, "The Galileo Seven", stardate 2822.3