[U-Boot] Application of patch submitted during the previous Merge Window

Graeme Russ graeme.russ at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 12:46:56 CEST 2011

On 23/09/11 20:18, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Graeme Russ,
>
> In message <4E7C4F80.6070904 at gmail.com> you wrote:
>>
>> Well my two console patches are ready for the next merge window - I notice
>> you have not claimed them, so I'll ping you when it opens
>
> Just add them to my ToDo list by assigning them to me...

Done - They are still 'New' (didn't know if you wanted that changed)

>>> In the result, a huge patch list is piling up, and dealing with this
>>> becomes more and more frustrating.
>>
>> Well my theory on that would be that if the take-up of a process is not
>> naturally organic, then forcing the issue probably won't work either
>
> Agreed.  But many people have asked for the tool, and it appears we
> don't have a better one.

Coreboot switched from SVN to git and gerrit

>> Maybe the load can be spread here - maintainers can put these in designated
>> branches in their repositories. I know this will cause the odd conflict,
>
> If you script this (based on pwapply) you can bail out early if the
> patch is no longer in state "New".
>
>> but we (the maintainers) could also periodically sync between each other.
>> Another alternative is to create a new repo that all the custodians have
>> access to...
>
> That would be easy to do...

Maybe that's what we do - Once a patch reaches maturity (a revision with an
Ack and maybe a Tested-by) any maintainer can just put it in the 'next'
repo - You can always veto it and not pull it into mainline anyway, but at
least it gives everyone a semi-stable platform to base patches for the next
merge window

Regards,

Graeme