[U-Boot] Configure U-boot to output to LCD on imx28evk board

Fabio Estevam festevam at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 17:05:39 CEST 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Bill <bsousan at techsi.com> wrote:
> Thanks.  I'm a bit fuzzy on Linux graphics.  So you mention that this is
> possible - but what criteria?
> Does this mean all I need to do is configure U-boot?  Or you mention that
> there is no mxs framebuffer support.  Is there a way around this in u-boot?
> Or can I add a patch for mxs framebuffer support in U-boot?

Yes, you need to create a patch to add mxs framebuffer support in
U-boot. You can look at the linux kernel as a reference
(drivers/video/mxsfb.c) and port it into U-boot.

There are other i.mx processors (mx31, mx51, mx53)  that do support
framebuffer in U-boot. You can look at drivers/video/mxc_ipuv3_fb.c in
U-boot for a reference for mx51/mx53 implementation.

The LCD controller on mxs is different so that is why you will need to
create a new driver for it.

Regards,

Fabio Estevam