[U-Boot] where is the crc stored?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Dec 22 00:09:36 CET 2012

Dear John Stile,

In message <1356125251.28896.119.camel at genx> you wrote:

> I am a total new-bee, but I have read there is a crc check in u-boot.

Actually there are several such checks, for several different
purposes.

> The crc check can result in a:
>   Warning: Bad CRC, using default environment

THis is when checking if there is a valid environment.  So we are
talkign about the CRC which protects the persistent environment copy.
The structure of this is defined in "include/environment.h", see
struct environment_s - as you can see, this is a CRC32.

> The crc is considered during the bootcmd.

No, this has absolutely nothing to do with bootcmd.

> I would like to know where this crc is stored.

In the first 4 bytes of the external representation of the
environment.

> I would like to know is it 8-bit, 16-bit, and 32-bit, or other.

32 bit.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The ultimate barrier is one's viewpoint.
                        - Terry Pratchett, _The Dark Side of the Sun_