[U-Boot] [RFC][PULL-REQ] MTD update

Sergey Lapin slapin at ossfans.org
Sun Dec 30 01:35:38 CET 2012

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 12:33:31AM +0100, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Sergey Lapin,

> > > OK, will rebase.
> > Well, I reviewed the difference with 3.7.1 and 3.8-rc's MTD,
> > and I see some changes I critically depend on. These are very small, though.
> > The rest can be added for completeness. I can make these changes into separate
> > patch, will it be fine with you?
>
> Ideally you should come up with a workign implementation based on the
> current stable tree.  The locate any additional commits in Linux that
> are needed / useful from your point of view, and check if these can be
> applied _directly_ (i. e. the unmodified Linux commits) to the U-Boot
> tree.  If we can do this, any future updates will be much easier, so
> this is a good test for the benefits of the new version.

Well, direct application of Linux's commits will not work mostly because
lower level functions like timers have slightly different implementations.
If we'd implement jiffies and associated macros in u-boot, that'd be awesome,
but maybe an overkill, and is also out of scope of these patches and not in
field of my interests. Simple things, like constant changes will work,
but code changes in nand_base.c won't work I'm afraid.