[U-Boot] Can u-Boot Ran from RAM?

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Wed Feb 1 03:11:17 CET 2012

On Tuesday 31 January 2012 17:07:05 Bud Miljkovic wrote:
> Hi there,
>

> While getting acquainted with possible u-Boot development issues, I read
> FAQ "14.2.1.  Can U-Boot be configured such that it can be started in
> RAM?" and was puzzled to learn that u-Boot cannot run from RAM.

This is clearly not true.

The omap devices and davinci devices both use rom boot loaders to load uboot
into ram for further execution.

In the case of omaps it is often even more complex using a rom boot loader to
load x-load (or cut down u-boot) to load the real uboot which then loads
Linux.

-- Charles