[U-Boot] ARM ld: .bss overlaps section .rel.dyn

Amit Virdi amitvi128 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 13:26:27 CET 2012

Hi All,

I'm in the process of updating platform support for spear series of
SoC on the latest u-boot.
I picked u-boot v2011.12. I tried compiling for different spear boards
(spear 300, 310, 300 and spear600). In every compilation, I'm getting
following errors:

-----------------------
arm-linux-ld: section .bss [007263cc -> 00728c5b] overlaps section
.rel.dyn [007263cc -> 0072a623]
arm-linux-ld: u-boot: section .bss lma 0x7263cc overlaps previous sections
make: *** [u-boot] Error 1
-----------------------

This is one case.

Now if I apply some patches -all of them are either enhancing the
features or are bug fixes -  over the base line code, my code compiles
*after* certain patch. None of these patches is changing any linker
script.

I drilled down to the last patch that made the code compile without
error. Specifically, that commit is configuring Network support for
SPEAr SoCs.

Anyways, I did try to compare the map files generated for the good and
the bad case but really couldn't conclude much!!

Any pointers?

Thanks
Amit Virdi