[U-Boot] Avoiding reload on ARM U-BOOT

Marek Vasut marek.vasut at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 15:22:14 CET 2012

> Hello again
>
> Sorry for slipping the u-boot list e-mail address
>
> i understand the benefit of relocating u-boot to the end of DRAM but in
> systems where boot time is critical this redundant copy is undesirable.
> anyway i understand there is no official way of avoiding it.

You can boot linux directly via SPL if your boottime is critical. And, if you do
not want to boot linux directly, implement some "hit key to interrupt direct
booting sequence" into SPL.

> One more question i have is regarding the SPL Framework. i read all the
> documentation i could find about the SPL but i don't think i fully
> understand the usage of this framework. since i noticed several SPL Macros
> around the relocation code i suspected it has something to do with
> relocation or u-boot running as secondary boot program

If you can read only a small piece of eg. NAND with your bootrom, you use SPL.
The purpose is to init the system (ram, gpio ...) and load the u-boot (the big
bootloader).