[U-Boot] Skipping relocation RAM to RAM, esp. on i.MX6?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Feb 6 23:27:21 CET 2012

Dear Albert ARIBAUD,

In message <4F304463.1050901 at aribaud.net> you wrote:

> > In my experience, the offset is consistent on a given platform so once
> > you do the dance once to figure out where it'll be placed you can just
> > start off debugging post-relocation.
>
> That's for a given platform *and* a given U-Boot build, since the U-Boot >

...and for a given set of configured options and environment settings.

Change the size of the PRAM area, or change the resolution of your
graphics controller (and thus the size of the frame buffer), or change
the size of the log buffer, or ...

There is a _plenty_ of reasons why the relocation address may change,
even for a given binary image and a given piece of hardware.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Software entities are more complex for their size  than  perhaps  any
other human construct because no two parts are alike. If they are, we
make  the  two  similar parts into a subroutine -- open or closed. In
this respect, software  systems  differ  profoundly  from  computers,
buildings, or automobiles, where repeated elements abound.
                                                   - Fred Brooks, Jr.