[U-Boot] Luna Pier u-boot addition

Stojsavljevic, Zoran zoran.stojsavljevic at intel.com
Mon Feb 13 10:15:24 CET 2012

Hello to u-boot community,

My name is Zoran Stojsavljevic, and I work for Intel GmbH, IMU office here in Munich.

Let me introduce the problem, some USA team are facing with Luna Pier platform (Valleyview Atom D525 + ICH8 IOCH).

One of the Intel customers is running Wind River Linux (WR 4.3.0.0 which is somehow already outdated kernel 2.6.34.10,
by Linux Community wise). Good thing about 2.6.34.10 that it is stable and well supported.

As BSP vehicle to boot to Linux Intel is using BLDK1, form of BIOS, which is fully equipped with MRC (Memory Reference
Model), then with UEFI phase, DXI phase, and OS boot preload phase (to make it much simpler). ;)

The customer is asking for u-boot, to be consistent with Linux environment.

Now, I somehow know a bit the u-boot environment (worked with Denx in 2003 and also for x-loader and u-boot on Android
based 2.6.35.7 kernel, introduced by TI in 2010/11).

I have dilemma how to do architecting on u-boot for Luna Pier platform, so here is what I am facing, options (IMHO):

[1] BLDK1 is a Boeing 747, fully equipped, while u-boot is Cessna. BLDK1 performs fully platform initialization and
testing, while u-boot initializes only minimum HW to make Linux run. In this respect, anybody who will write code for
u-boot for Luna Pier does not need all BLDK1, just very tiny portion of it. The minimum HW initialization (ICH driver
and standard u-boot additions to should be enough), added as source code (I assume u-boot belongs to GPL licenses);

[2] It could be done in different fashion: to encapsulate whole BLDK1 under u-boot, but I am not certain how the
architecture of this will look like. The idea is to hide bldk1.exe under some APIs (yes, the binary code, since I am
100% certain Intel will NOT allow BLDK1 source code to be released in Public). In other words, it is as you will mask
Formula 1 engine under the hood of VW Beetle. :)

I am seeking advice. Any another proposal for the given architecture, and/or Pros and Cons for [1] and [2]?

Looking forward to hear any viable advise, proposal, or elaboration how to architect [2], if the conditions outlined
By me are acceptable?

Thank you,
Zoran Stojsavljevic, Intel GmbH

Intel GmbH
Dornacher Strasse 1
85622 Feldkirchen/Muenchen, Deutschland
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Douglas Lusk, Peter Gleissner, Hannes Schwaderer
Registergericht: Muenchen HRB 47456
Ust.-IdNr./VAT Registration No.: DE129385895
Citibank Frankfurt a.M. (BLZ 502 109 00) 600119052