[U-Boot] exports.h and the GPL

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Feb 25 00:37:20 CET 2012

Dear Michael Walle,

In message <201202242048.51624.michael at walle.cc> you wrote:

> > which is why the exported funcs are "high level" and not ones that get into
> > low level stuff that would necessitate passing structs.  the other problem
> > with struct passing is that they tend to break the ABI layer.
> > -mike
>
> Then i guess there is no way to support a board which has only evil closed
> source drivers for its networking card. That is, i can't export eth_register()
> to register my ops defined in the blob without violating the GPL.

As Mike already explained, this is correct.  And it is intentional.

> Even if the headers for the "struct eth_device" were public domain, this
> mechanism would be sth like 'linking' against the uboot, wouldn't it?

Yes, indeed.

You are not supposed to mix closed-source drivers with GPL code.  The
best approach is probably to re-write the drivers under GPL.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The price of curiosity is a terminal experience.
                         - Terry Pratchett, _The Dark Side of the Sun_