[U-Boot] memory corruption on nios2 due to overlap of gbl data and malloc

Graeme Russ graeme.russ at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 23:39:13 CET 2012

Hi Albert,

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 9:29 AM, Albert ARIBAUD
<albert.u.boot at aribaud.net> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> Le 21/02/2012 00:24, Alex Hornung a écrit :
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've run into some memory corruption due to an error in the logic used
>> to allocate the bd (and gd) during board_init of the nios2.
>>

>> #define CONFIG_SYS_GBL_DATA_OFFSET      (CONFIG_SYS_MALLOC_BASE - \
>>                                          GENERATED_GBL_DATA_SIZE)
>> [...]
>>
>>         gd = (gd_t *)CONFIG_SYS_GBL_DATA_OFFSET;
>> [...]
>>         gd->bd = (bd_t *)(gd+1);        /* At end of global data */
>> [...]
>>         mem_malloc_init(CONFIG_SYS_MALLOC_BASE, CONFIG_SYS_MALLOC_LEN);
>>
>> The relevant points here are that CONFIG_SYS_GBL_DATA_OFFSET is
>> GENERATED_GBL_DATA_SIZE (80) bytes below the CONFIG_SYS_MALLOC_BASE.
>>
>> Given that gd is 68 bytes big, now the start of bd is only 12 bytes from
>> the beginning of the malloc base - but the size of bd is 36 bytes!
>

> So GENERATED_GBL_DATA_SIZE is wrong if it was supposed to contain both gd
> and bd, which I suspect is not the case; but if it is supposed to only
> contain a gd, then the definition of CONFIG_SYS_GBL_DATA_OFFSET is wrong in
> that it does not account for gd and bd as it should.

The global data struct only contains a pointer to the board data struct.

IMHO I think the approach taken (but almost all arches) is very errror prone
as it relies on manually laying out gd and bd in memory with bd sitting
immediately above or below gd. In theory, this layout should never be
tampered with, but I still don't like it.

For x86, gd and bd are in BSS after relocation, so there is no need to
hack around them when calculating the heap or stack, but I have a sneaking
suspicion that this could make debugging harder as there is no way to
reliably find the relocation offset as gd is never located at a known
location in memory...

Regards,

Graeme