[U-Boot] Broken ecc.size when switching between sw and hw ecc (beagleboard)

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Wed Feb 29 22:00:49 CET 2012

On 02/29/2012 06:12 AM, Orjan Friberg wrote:
> For the beagleboard, ecc.size is not explicitly set when doing 'nandecc
> sw'.  If it's not set for the NAND_ECC_SOFT case in nand_scan_tail, it's
> set to 256 bytes.
>
> When doing 'nandecc hw', ecc.size is set to 512 bytes.  Hence, when
> changing back to 'nandecc sw' ecc.size remains at 512 bytes and suddenly
> the format has changed.
>

> It seems the current nandecc command needs to set this explicitly, but
> also needs to be augmented to be able to select the newly added 4/8-bit
> BCH ECC.

Yes, that looks like a bug in omap_nand_switch_ecc().

> But it also seems like nandecc selection should be more generic than for
> omap3 (currently it lives in arch/arm/cpu/armv7/omap3/board.c).

ECC mode is normally not something that you want to be runtime
switchable, as changing it usually changes the on-flash format.  It also
requires driver cooperation -- the actual implementation (as opposed to
the command-line wrapper) is in drivers/mtd/nand/omap_gpmc.c.

If we end up with multiple drivers that need to expose this sort of
functionality, maybe we can consider moving the command line wrapper to
common code.

-Scott