[U-Boot] Secure update of uboot devices?

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Fri Jan 6 20:25:52 CET 2012

On Friday 06 January 2012 06:24:50 Andreas Bäck wrote:
> Actually there seams to exsist some very old patches for this
> http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2006-September/016960.html
>
> Here a paper quite exact what I am after:
> http://elinux.org/images/2/28/Trusted_Boot_Loader.pdf
>
> Is there any toughts on integating this in trunk or should I try to merge
> this patch with the git trunk of my own?

i think you need to outline exactly what it is you're trying to do.  "secure
update" and "secure boot" is way too vague.  for starters, you need to outline
the vectors you're trying to protect against.  the arm trustzone whitepaper is
a pretty good example of things:
http://infocenter.arm.com/help/topic/com.arm.doc.prd29-genc-009492c/PRD29-
GENC-009492C_trustzone_security_whitepaper.pdf

there are many hardware solutions out there for verifying the integrity of u-
boot itself before executing it, but they tend to be SoC/arch specific.  the
trusted boot paper you referred to for example really only makes sense on x86
based platforms.

the patch you referred to however is for verifying the integrity of the kernel
image that u-boot boots.  it doesn't help with u-boot itself.
-mike