[U-Boot] FDT driver initialization function declaration

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Tue Jul 10 15:12:47 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Marek Vasut <marek.vasut at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Michal Simek,
>
> > Hi Simon, Wolfgang and others,
> >
> > just want to open new topic about FDT driver initialization function
> > declaration.
>
> Ok, my few nits (with consideration of the DM stuff) ...
> 1) Parsing the DTB is slowish

Yes, particularly early when (for example) the dcache is off and we can't
store anything.

One solution may be to have a simple way of picking out things that are
needed early, and placing them in a simple C structure. Things like the
serial base address (for console_init_f()) might fit this model. Of course
this needs a tool to do it. But the advantage is that everything is
controlled from the fdt but without the performance penalty.

> 2) The DT can bind nicely with the DM, but if you could investigate
> further and
> help evaluating possible corner cases, that'd help a lot

I also only just became aware of your tree. It looks very promising and
looks like it will solve a number of multi-device / initcall issues we have
at present.

> 3) If you could go over the documentation and comment on it, that'd be very
> nice.

4) First patches for the DT shall land in next few weeks

Do you mean land in mainline, or just in your tree?

> Wolfgang, is it possible to somehow tag the DM patches so we can later
> collect
> these tagged patches to prove we did the amount of work to the university
> committee? Or maybe simple "dm:" in the subject will suffice.
>
> Best regards,
> Marek Vasut

Regards,
Simon