[U-Boot] Intro guide for configuring U-Boot for a custom board?

Albert ARIBAUD albert.u.boot at aribaud.net
Thu Jul 12 23:45:51 CEST 2012

Hi Luciano,

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 13:36:40 -0500, Luciano Moretti <luciano.moretti at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've currently got a custom Freescale P2020 board that I'd like to
> evaluate Das U-Boot on.
>
> Is there a good guide to defining a configuration for a new board
> somewhere?  Most of what I see in the documentation assumes that you
> are using an evaluation board that U-Boot has already been compiled &
> tested on.
>
> I'm looking for something that enumerates the configuration options
> and provides a short-list of things that need to be configured for a
> board to work.

The best approach is to start with other P2020 based boards, analyze what
makes up their configuration and their specific code, and derive the same
for your board.

You can also clone the git repo and search for commits that add support
for a new board (hint: such commits usually touch MAINTAINERS and also
boards.cfg). This will show you what files must be modified or added.

I *think* commit 9839709ea3df89f6021034508f48b97cab33ebb8 is an example
of what you are looking for, but I am far from proficient with powerpc.

> Thank you for your assistance.

You're welcome.

Amicalement,
--