[U-Boot] [U-BOOT]: Add support for numonyx spi flash.

jagan 402jagan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 17:57:58 CEST 2012

Hi,

We have a numonyx spi flash (N25Q128) on my target.

I tried using u-boot stmicro.c driver as numonyx and stmicro have same
manufacturing ID's.
The driver detects M25P128 as below ID table

 {
                .idcode1 = 0x18,
                .page_size = 256,
                .pages_per_sector = 1024,
                .nr_sectors = 64,
                .name = "M25P128",
  },

I think this could be because we doesn't have a separate driver to support
numonyx.
But the problem is N25Q128 and M25P128
are identically different in-terms of number of sectors as well
as pages per sector due to this I was unable to program the flash.

So, I edited pages_per_sector and nr_sectors to make my flash read/write
will work.
and also added an N25Q128 ID table above M25P128 keeping M25P128 will not
effect.

Everything is fine up to now.

But I think this process is wired when we have more number of numonyx
flashes which identically same
manufacturer id's  that are supported in stmicro.c with differences in
sectors.

I have written a separate driver for numonyx which is identically same as
stmicro with added numonyx
ID tables, so it will not touch any thing on stmicro.c.
The reason I am writing different driver for numonyx because it will be a
bit messy If we keep
on adding extra things(specific to numonyx) to stmicro.c

Please let me know your views, if my suggestion is good I will send the
patch.
If am wrong with my understanding, please send an optimized suggestion.

Regards,
Jagan.