[U-Boot] i.MX6: mx6qsabrelite: allow use with Freescale 2.6.38 kernels

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Mar 3 10:38:26 CET 2012

Dear Dirk,

In message <4F51BBA9.4090608 at googlemail.com> you wrote:

> Having Freescale working on these quite old and unclean U-Boot and
> Kernel versions is a pain. Kernel is an other topic, but with U-Boot,
> thanks to the very good work of everybody, we are in a good position
> to get rid of the old Freescale U-Boot, now. And get everybody to work
> with mainline and create patches against it.

ACK.

> So if it helps to apply some backward compatibility to make it easier
> for everybody, esp. Freescale, to switch to mainline U-Boot, I think
> we should try it.

Agreed.  If these patches were only for backward compatibility I would
not complain much.  But they are known to introduce forward incompati-
bilities with all this MACH_ID stuff, and this is what I would like to
avoid.

I think we should make a clear statement that new boards that get
added should only support DT based configurations.  If really needed,
legacy MACH_ID support may be kept out of tree.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Overflow on /dev/null, please empty the bit bucket.