[U-Boot] i.MX6: mx6qsabrelite: allow use with Freescale 2.6.38 kernels

Albert ARIBAUD albert.u.boot at aribaud.net
Wed Mar 7 10:37:28 CET 2012

Hi Wolfgang,

Le 04/03/2012 09:39, Wolfgang Denk a écrit :
> Dear Troy Kisky,

>>> See the recent problems that occurred when RMK decided to "clean up"
>>> the machids file.
>>>
>> Would you rather that I take RMK's cleaned up file, and undelete the
>> machines that u-boot
>> uses?  That would be more simple than adding to the board's config file.
>> I can delete all of the mach_is_xxx macros in mach-types while I'm at it.
>
> I think we had this discussion before (when RMK's changes hit us), and
> it was decided not to do this.  IIRC we decided not to do this.

YRC. :)

The retained strategy is to not fiddle with the Linux mach-type.h and to
complement (and lampshade) any discrepancy between Linux and U-Boot
support in the board config files.

> I have never understood why this mach_types thingy was needed (other
> rchitectures worked fine without it, or better), and now we are on the
> edge of obsoleting it. So all efforts trying to maintain this file are
> futile, and we would have to redo these for any updates of the file.
>
> I feel this is not a good investment of our time.

Hopefully FDT will make mach-types obsolete, except for the rare boards
which will want to keep support for it, at which point we'll decide to
either maintain or own, reduced and mostly legacy, mach-type file, or to
move mach-type declarations in the board's config files.

> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk

Amicalement,
--