[U-Boot] RFC - how to support multipl DRAM chips in a single SPL build?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Mar 7 23:13:35 CET 2012

Dear Tom Rini,

In message <CA+M6bXkgRyPFf2iLyiP6rptnkdU3=zG_wCpQhLvcjMDp1Of9PA at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> Note that beagleboard handles this today, and the intent is that we
> should be able to support a wide range of choices, with whatever
> method is best on the board.  For example (and hiding from Wolfgang)
> in am335x land, we plan to poke the EEPROM over i2c and see what it
> tells us for a board and pick out based on that.

There should be no need for that.  If the possible configuration
options are know, auto-detection is possible as well.

Given that EEPROM access is pretty slow, auto-detecting might even be
faster.  And it helps detecting memory problems (usually when boards
get booted fresh from production).

> Part of the problem is, for hardware out in the wild, do you have a
> method to determine what rev you're on?  This is where the EEPROM on
> am335x comes in.

You don't need to know the board rev.  All you need to know is the
set of possible config options.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Nature is very un-American.  Nature never hurries."
- William George Jordan