[U-Boot] Question: Installing U-Boot on the Karo TX25

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Thu Mar 22 14:25:10 CET 2012

On 22/03/2012 09:08, Züger Martin wrote:
> Hi everybody
>
> My name is Martin and I'm new to this mailing list. I hope this is the right place to ask my question.
> I'd like to install U-Boot on a Karo TX25. From the Denx FTP server I've downloaded the 2011.12 release of U-Boot and compiled it using the arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc (4.4.5) from Debian:
>   $ make tx25_config
>   $ CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- make all
> After compiling I've downloaded the u-boot.bin file to the board using the pre-installed RedBoot:

Wait - as far as I know, the tx25 boots from NAND, and you need also the
SPL part to replace Redboot.

>   RedBoot> load -r -b 0x80100000 -h 192.168.1.101 u-boot.bin
>   Using default protocol (TFTP)
>   Raw file loaded 0x80100000-0x80129617, assumed entry at 0x80100000
> Finally I tried to start U-Boot directly from RAM:

u-boot for TX25 is linked at address 0x81200000, not 0x80100000. Try
with the correct address.

> May someone can explain me, how to download U-Boot to the Karo TX25 using the already installed RedBoot and execute it directly? Is this even possible? My final target is to replace RedBoot with U-Boot, so I'd like to write U-Boot to flash in a second step. Does I've to use the u-boot-nand.bin file instead of u-boot.bin for this?

The correct way (but one-way if you have not a JTAG debugger) is to
replace the redboot code in NAND with u-boot, that is u-boot-nand.bin.
But try with the correct address, if it works you have all u-boot
commands to store u-boot itself in NAND.

Best regards,
Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de