[U-Boot] NetConsole & TFTP

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Mar 23 20:46:52 CET 2012

Dear Thomas,

In message <OF0B4B1E6C.B54B0C2D-ONC12579CA.0038E059-C12579CA.0038F311 at sick.de> you wrote:

> Is it possible to use NetConsole and TFTP parallel at one Ethernet
> interface? My fist thoughts were that this could be possible, because TFTP

Yes, this is supposed to work.  We've even seen running TFTP and
Netconsole over Ethernet over USB...

> and NetConsole use different ports. But out of the box the behavior is
> different. In my tests TFTP tries to use another Ethernet interface
> (eTSEC1) as the NetConsole (eTSEC0), but the final Hardware has only one

Hm... you are not running mainline code, right?  Because we always
have a single network interface active at any time.

> Therefore I need a possibility to communicate with a target (via
> NetConsole) and transfer the flash images (via TFTP). Has anybody
> experiences with this? Is this possible with U-Boot? Maybe I am doing
> something wrong?

I recommend you undo any modifications made to the network stack,
and/or try plain mainline code instead.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Premature optimization is the root of all evil.         -- D.E. Knuth