[U-Boot] BIOS EMULATOR driver

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Mar 26 22:14:47 CEST 2012

Dear Marek Vasut,

In message <201203261531.18334.marex at denx.de> you wrote:

> So that means the board work without this bios emulator driver if the radeon
> driver is disabled? But we want to use the radeon driver, so we need the bios
> emulator stuff.

Right.  If you don't need feature X and do not configure it, then you
don't need the driver that implements feature X, and building without
this driver works.  If you need feature X, then you must include it,
and it is usually no dead code then.

And even if it was, the combination of -ffunction-sections /
-fdata-sections with --gc-sections should prevent any damages.

> I think the discussion quite drifted away from the original question, which was
> if the dead code in bios emulator stuff can be simply removed? ... and if it
> really is dead code.

If you need the BIOS emulator to initialize the BIOS of a graphics
card it it probably not exactly "dead code".

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Every time history repeats itself the price goes up.