[U-Boot] Porting u-boot for MPC8280 based board.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu May 3 10:59:05 CEST 2012

Dear Thirumalesha N,

In message <CAO1Rv-YSrCZbuHDFLfd0kj9Y1a7+ffcnwutRGnG2XtL34ca0LQ at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

>    To enable console on SMC( There are 2 SMC in MPC8280, we using SMC2
> means Pin no. PA9 ( Tx ) and PA8 (Rx) ).
>    I modified as follows
> + /* PA9  */ { 1,          1,   0,   1,   0,   0 }, /* SMC Tx */
> + /* PA8  */ { 1,          1,   0,   0,   0,   0 }, /* SMC Rx */
>
>  */
> +#define CONFIG_CONS_ON_SMC /* define if console on SMC */
> +#undef CONFIG_CONS_ON_SCC /* define if console on SCC */
> +#undef CONFIG_CONS_NONE /* define if console on something else */
> +#define CONFIG_CONS_INDEX 2 /* which serial channel for console */
> +/* system clock rate (CLKIN) - equal to the 60x and local bus speed */
> +#define CONFIG_8260_CLKIN 100000000 /* in Hz */

Are you sure your local bus runs at 100 MHz?

Check your clock routing!!

What about CONFIG_CONS_EXTC_RATE and CONFIG_CONS_EXTC_PINSEL ?

> Still am not getting any think on console, The SMC ports are inbuilt,  it
> needs any serial driver to modify or any other files?
> Please suggest me to come out of this problem.

Attach a scope to the pins and check if there is output, just at an
unexpected baud rate.

If this doesn't help, then get yourself a JTAG debugger and start GDB.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft ...  and  the
only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor.
                                                  - Wernher von Braun