[U-Boot] how to make mkimage command work?

Andreas Bießmann andreas.devel at googlemail.com
Fri May 18 12:26:37 CEST 2012

Dear apple pie,

On 18.05.2012 01:12, apple pie wrote:

<snip>

> From a u-boot user group, I have learned that by using the command: "mkimage" it would be able to package a raw
> image into a blob understood by u-boot. I have discovered a few "mkimage" files, such as mkimage.o, mkimage, other
> than mkimage.c, mkimage.h and mkimage.l. But, I soon found out that I could not execute the command: mkimage.
> What should I do in order to execute the command? There isn't a file called mkimage.bin generated!!

mkimage is a HOST tool running on your build machine. You may build it
from u-boot source by calling something like:

---8<---
# cd $UBOOT_SRC
# HOSTCC=gcc make tools
# ./tools/mkimage
--->8---

The tool is often required, therefore some distributions provide it
(debian: u-boot-tools: /usr/bin/mkimage). But this may not include some
newer features.

To understand mkimage, the binary format of the header a.s.o please read
$UBOOT_SRC/README and/or the source.

best regards

Andreas Bießmann