[U-Boot] silent console with nand

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun May 20 21:09:59 CEST 2012

Dear "Bishop, Mark",

In message <5D308BD40154E4439D82454FE483A50206A4F026 at EVS4.nam.ci.root> you wrote:
> Is it possible to have a silent console with the 'silent' environment
> variable if the environment is stored in NAND?

The storage location of the environment should have nothing to do with
the functionality.

> Essentially both:
> #define CONFIG_SILENT_CONSOLE
> #define CONFIG_ENV_IS_IN_NAND
>
> are defined, but I am not seeing a dark console with silent=1.

There may be problems with your current implementation, like the
environment not being available soon enough.  You can test this by
changing the console bausrate using setenv / saveenv.  Cn you still
see all boot messages?

> I've seen the messages concerning the environment stored in SPI Flash
> and was probably thinking that it applies to NAND as well.  I'm just

Again - the storage location has nothign to do with functionality;
but there are some broken configurations out there that should be fixed.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A modem is a baudy house.