[U-Boot] silent console with nand

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Mon May 21 18:36:54 CEST 2012

On 05/20/2012 02:09 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear "Bishop, Mark",
>
> In message <5D308BD40154E4439D82454FE483A50206A4F026 at EVS4.nam.ci.root> you wrote:
>> Is it possible to have a silent console with the 'silent' environment
>> variable if the environment is stored in NAND?
>
> The storage location of the environment should have nothing to do with
> the functionality.
>
>> Essentially both:
>> #define CONFIG_SILENT_CONSOLE
>> #define CONFIG_ENV_IS_IN_NAND
>>
>> are defined, but I am not seeing a dark console with silent=1.
>
> There may be problems with your current implementation, like the
> environment not being available soon enough.  You can test this by
> changing the console bausrate using setenv / saveenv.  Cn you still
> see all boot messages?

The environment is often not available early enough when booting from
NAND.  CONFIG_NAND_ENV_DST was meant to address this, but I only see one
board using it so far.  CONFIG_NAND_ENV_DST also may need some fixing
regarding where saveenv writes the environment, if there's a bad block
in the preceding U-Boot image.

-Scott