[U-Boot] Combine zImage and rootfs in single uImage

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Tue May 22 19:19:33 CEST 2012

On 2012-05-22, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> In message <jpgbbm$1hk$1 at dough.gmane.org> Grant Edwards wrote:
[...]
>> somebody told me that if I was using U-Boot, I could build the zImage
>> and rootfs separately and then combine them into a single uImage file
>> for distribution.
>
> The (deprecated) old style way (using legacy image format) is called
> "multi-file images".
>
> The modern, recommended way to do things like this is using FIT
> images.
>
> See the respective documentation.

Thanks!

All our build/update infrastcture expects the uImage legacy image
format, so I'm going to stick with the multi-file "uImage" format for
now.

FWIW, I couldn't find any documentation for FIT images (it's not
mentioned in in either FAQs, Table of Contents, or Index), and various
google searches didn't find anything except old mailing list messages.
Having the manual chopped up into hundreds of separate web pages makes
impossible to search when looking for something. It would be very nice
if the Manual was available as a single page.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! BELA LUGOSI is my
                                  at               co-pilot ...