[U-Boot] U-Boot git usage model

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Oct 14 00:25:45 CEST 2012

Dear Tom,

In message <5079D95E.4070609 at ti.com> you wrote:

> While also IANAL (and I try and stay out of these discussions), paging
> around in the kernel log it sure seems like Linus and akpm both add
> S-O-B when they git am something in (perhaps why there is git am
> --signoff?) but not when it comes via pull request.  In other words,
> up until the point it goes into intended-to-be-pulled-somehow-someway
> git, whomever is presenting the work adds one (or more) to say I (we)
> worked on it and yes, applies as well as the person bringing it in (I
> touch this and believe it to be).

Yes, git am has such an option.  But git fetch (or pull) does not.  I
see no technical difference if someone provides me a patch as such, or
in form of a git repository with this patch applied so I can just "git
fetch" from it.  In both cases the result would be exactly the same:
I add the patch to my local repository.  But in one case I am supposed
to sign it (and tools offer me options to do so), but in the other
case I cannot do that, even if I wanted?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"It takes all sorts of in & out-door schooling to get adapted  to  my
kind of fooling"                                           - R. Frost