[U-Boot] U-Boot git usage model

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Oct 15 20:55:24 CEST 2012

Dear Stephen Warren,

In message <507C3AA4.6050707 at wwwdotorg.org> you wrote:

> Irrespective of the documentation (which I obviously read the way I
> describe anyway...), the kernel practice is that everyone who writes or
> commits a patch adds their S-o-b line, and everyone who simply merges a

I'm aware of this.

> branch from someone else checks that the provider of the branch added
> their S-o-b to patches they applied (rather than merged themselves) but
> does not add their own S-o-b (because it's impossible).

Is such checking really taking place?  Are there any tools to support
this?

> I have often wondered why the merge commits themselves were not signed
> off by the person performing the merge (which would then logically cover
> all the commits that got merged). I haven't investigated to find out why
> though. Doing so would seem to solve your objection about merges.

I'm not only concerned about merges from custodian (or maintainer's,
in Linux terminology) trees.  For me it also seems reasonable to pull
from any other repository instead of using git-am or similar to apply
patches from a mailbox file. Herer I also have no way to add any new
SoBs.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
panic: can't find /