[U-Boot] U-Boot git usage model

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Mon Oct 15 23:42:23 CEST 2012

On 10/15/2012 12:55 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Stephen Warren,
>
> In message <507C3AA4.6050707 at wwwdotorg.org> you wrote:
>>
>> Irrespective of the documentation (which I obviously read the way I
>> describe anyway...), the kernel practice is that everyone who writes or
>> commits a patch adds their S-o-b line, and everyone who simply merges a
>
> I'm aware of this.
>
>> branch from someone else checks that the provider of the branch added
>> their S-o-b to patches they applied (rather than merged themselves) but
>> does not add their own S-o-b (because it's impossible).
>
> Is such checking really taking place?  Are there any tools to support
> this?

I've certainly seen people give feedback on patches that the appropriate
S-o-b lines aren't present. I don't recall if I've explicitly seen
anyone called out for not doing this during a merge (which most likely
means there was never an issue, not that people weren't checking), so I
can't say for 100% certain that everyone is doing this, but they
certainly should be.

git log is probably what I would use to validate this.